Sources for lists
Below are a selection of business and consumer lists sources and suppliers that can provide mailing lists for direct marketing purposes. If you are looking for list builders, be very careful about email lists in particular. In general, larger companies are very reputable about the provenance and data protection issues about the lists they maintain. Some unscrupulous email list providers still scrape websites for email addresses and then use these as spam lists.
For part of your Market Intelligence you can obtain counts from these sorts of lists as one way of starting to understand how a market is structured.
In business markets, becoming familiar with classifications such as SIC and NACE will help you get to grips with how to select by different business types.
Companies providing lists
- Marketing File - Collection of UK lists
- Blue sheep - UK business lists
- CACI - Consumer and geographic lists from UK wide database
- Dun and Bradstreet - business lists
D&B has the best set of worldwide lists. Tend to be best for larger companies. Less comprehensive for small businesses (sub 10 people) and partnerships. Counts are available on-line via Hoovers (see below).
- Equifax - Business lists and other business information
- Experian - Consumer lists from UK wide database
- Hoovers - access to DnB's business lists
- Harte-Hanks - produces lists of IT users with types of hardware being used (US)
- Kompass - Industrial suppliers lists
- London Stock Exchange - List of plc companies on the LSE and AIM
- MbMedien - Lists for Germany
- USADATA.com IT Business Information and Mailing Lists
- Yellow pages - major source for business lists
International lists as well as UK. Some larger companies choose not to be listed on Yellow Pages, so can be weak at the top end, but usually pretty good for small businesses
Market research panel providers
- SSI (Survey Sampling International)
- Lightspeed GMI
- Research Now
- Netquest (Spain and South America)
- SampleAnswers - Lists for market research sampling
For help and advice on carrying out sourcing lists please contact email@example.com